Marriene Langton Principal/Tumuaki

Marriene Langton Principal/Tumuaki
Tēnā koutou e te whanau. This is my 16th year as tumuaki of our lovely kura. I am one-eyed when it comes to providing the very best education for all of our tamariki, strong connections to whanau and applying attachment theory so every child has a champion adult at our school who believes in them unconditionally. I just can’t see past it. Our kaiako and kaiawhina go the extra 50 miles to give our children the best chances to succeed. My family is number one. After 20 years of camping holidays in Kaiteriteri, Graham and I are recidivist “glampers “ and ready for new adventures in our latest caravan. It’s brilliant when our family joins us too.

Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Principal's Big Day Out

















Last week I was the driver and organizer of a couple of trips to the Canterbury Museum for two groups of students from Years 5 & 6. The movies of our adventures at the museum are attached to the school's website.
During a visit to their classes I learned that they were researching different aspects of life in the 1800's and remembered the wonderful resources we have in the museum.
It was a delight to take the children and very hard not to laugh when I overheard some of their conversations. Kids say the "darndest" things.
I admit that the drive home with the boys, after the sugar from the iced chocolate had hit their bloodstreams, was somewhat manky. It sounds like I am generous but in truth I needed the coffee and just couldn't bring myself to let them starve.
I am in the unique position of having the freedom to work with students as  they learn without the burden of assessment and monitoring. I'm not sure what national standard we met last week but the conversations the children shared about their learning were thoughtful, insightful and at times very funny.  The boys especially were all over the place like blowflies at a picnic BUT learning as they flitted from "sandwich to sandwich."
I love my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment