Marriene Langton Principal/Tumuaki

Marriene Langton Principal/Tumuaki
Tēnā koutou e te whanau. This is my 16th year as tumuaki of our lovely kura. I am one-eyed when it comes to providing the very best education for all of our tamariki, strong connections to whanau and applying attachment theory so every child has a champion adult at our school who believes in them unconditionally. I just can’t see past it. Our kaiako and kaiawhina go the extra 50 miles to give our children the best chances to succeed. My family is number one. After 20 years of camping holidays in Kaiteriteri, Graham and I are recidivist “glampers “ and ready for new adventures in our latest caravan. It’s brilliant when our family joins us too.

Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Principal's Other Big Day Out,










































What better way to spend Friday  morning than to take a group of Year 5 and 6 boys to the museum to discover examples of transport in the early 1800's?
Now I freely admit that I was a tad tired and had to remind myself that I was dealing with four boys. Once I got over myself I no longer minded the endless photos they took of their own tonsils, insides of their nostrils and the close-up back views of each other as they climbed stairs.
Trying to explain to them that taking a video of a static object may mean that  something gets lost  in the translation was also a lost cause.
I forgot that boys can and do giggle more than girls once they get an idea in their heads and the sense of the bizarre takes on a life of its' own.
Still I am nothing if not determined and we forged ahead. In the end they gathered a lot of information by moving around the museum,  taking photos and doing lots of talking. Did I mention moving around AND DOING LOTS OF TALKING? Did I also mention the interesting close-ups of nostrils, eyes, tonsils?
We had an iced chocolate in the museum cafe and I had a strong triple shot coffee.
I had to come back to school and have a little nana nap under my desk!!!!
Secretly I thoroughly enjoyed myself and as always it was a pleasure to take our students on an excursion. They really are delightful.

No comments:

Post a Comment